Re: GDM decision making.

Le vendredi 15 août 2008, à 14:05 +0200, Andre Klapper a écrit :
> Guys,
>
> Beta1 tarballs due is on monday and we should decide very soon which gdm
> version to use in GNOME 2.24 finally, also with regard to the required
> string translations, see  http://l10n.gnome.org/module/gdm (hmm, no
> manual listed for trunk, but maybe that's not a fault but a fact,
> shrug).
>
> For myself I started to find out what distros do...
>       * Fedora will ship new gdm of course.
>       * Foresight uses the new gdm in their devel branch and it "works
>         pretty well"
>       * Gentoo does not know yet which gdm will be used in their
>         gnome-base/gnome-2.24.0 meta package and haven't tested it much
>         yet
>       * Mandriva - ? fcrozat might be around here...
>       * openSuse release is in December, hence not a topic for them.

Looks like openSUSE Factory has the new GDM (just upgraded and it's
here). It probably means this will be what will get used, unless we get
major issues. So it's here, but in a testing phase, I'd say.

>       * Ubuntu does not know yet, but tends to ship the old one it
>         seems.
> (Misunderstandings due to bad phone quality included, don't sue me ;-).
>
> I'm quite undecided, for me it currently boils down to the theoretical
> question "If Red Hat had an RHEL release in a few weeks, would they use
> the new gdm for it or not?" If yes, I'd take it for GNOME 2.24 too.

I'm leaning towards the conservative side because I feel not much has
changed between 2.22 and 2.24. I could be wrong, though.