Re: libxml/libxslt as external dependencies

Le mardi 18 septembre 2007, à 14:17 +0200, Frederic Crozat a écrit :
> Hi guys,
>
> while preparing GNOME 2.20.0 release, I noticed we were lagging for
> libxml2 and libxslt release, because Daniel is no longer uploading those
> modules on ftp.gnome.org but prefers to keep them on xmlsoft.org, since
> he considers libxml2 / libxslt to be lower lever than GNOME, like a part
> of the OS.
>
> I've discussed with him over irc and we agreed on the following :
>
> -for 2.20.0, I've pushed latest version of libxml2 and libxslt on
> ftp.gnome.org so we don't need to change anything so late in the process
>
> -for 2.21.x, we switch libxml2 and libxslt as external dependencies and
> use xmlsoft.org to grab those tarballs.

Totally makes sense. The only thing that could be worrying is that we
could be breaking the API/ABI stability of the platform this way, but I
don't think the libxml2/libxslt API/ABI will change soon, so we just
need to specify this clearly when announcing the change.