Re: Minutes of release team meeting - March 24th

On 4/18/07, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
Le samedi 14 avril 2007, à 18:57, Elijah Newren a écrit :
> On 3/25/07, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> >ACTION: Elijah to make an official list of modules that don't follow the
> >        release schedule
>
> Draft: http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/SeparateReleaseCycleModules
>
> I realized looking through a long list of modules that I'm not really
> sure what the state of several modules are.  It'd be really nice if
> others could look over this.

I think you got it right. Well, audiofile and esound might be maintained
in some way, but that's not a big issue.

About the FIXME for reasons to follow the GNOME release cycle, I'm not
sure we have anything written outside of this:
http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/TimeBased

When the Gnomemeeting/gnome-i18n brouhaha erupted several cycles ago,
I remember reading some good arguments about why scheduling of modules
should by synced.  It was much more about the syncing of releases than
about time-based vs. feature-based.  In particular, the arguments were
about taking advantage of community resources -- testing from the
bugsquad, translations from i18n, more impressive release notes, etc.
(These issues were brought to the forefront because Danilo was pretty
urked that Gnomemeeting was basically realeasing stable versions with
no notice, at times totally unrelated to the GNOME release cycle.
This meant that translators had absolutely no time to translate before
stable versions started being used.  Further, translators felt
compelled to instantly drop everything they were doing and start
translating GnomeMeeting at these 'random' times.)

Hmm, it may have been faster for me to google those old conversations
than type up a small explanation.  Oops.  Oh well, too late now.

Elijah