Re: Requesting code change after freeze

Vincent:

So, here's what I propose: go for solution 1 for 2.14 (consider this as
a private API), and fix it properly in 2.15, removing the private API.

Does it make sense?

Yes, thanks.  I think this is the better approach.  I went ahead and
made this change and put it in the 2.14 tarball release today.  This
issue has already caused quite a few complaints and bug reports so I
wanted to see this issue resolved in the 2.14 release.

With this change, both gdm and gdmsetup will continue to honor the
users gdm.conf file until they choose to move the file aside and use
the new custom.conf file.  In other words, GDM will just be fully
backwards compatible - as it should be.  Sorry for not catching this
issue sooner, but the redesign of GDM's configuration (both GUI and
internal mechanisms) was such a big change that it really took me
the entire 2.13 release cycle to get it working.  In the long-run,
I think this makes GDM much easier to configure and use.

In 2.15 we can make gdm smarter and migrate the user from gdm.conf
to custom.conf automatically.  In other words the daemon can check
which configuration settings are different in gdm.conf (compared with
the defaults.conf file) and put those in the custom.conf file for the
user.  Then move the gdm.conf file aside.  That shouldn't be too
hard, but I think it is smarter to make this change early in the 2.15
cycle so it can be well tested before putting such code into a stable
release.  This is better than rushing to get this sort of change into
2.14 and maybe getting something wrong and messing up user's
configuration, which would be worse than doing nothing.

Thanks again,

Brian