Re: libnotify, notification-daemon and gnome desktop modules

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 15:55 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems there was fairly good consensus to include libnotify &
> notification-daemon in the gnome desktop release.  Looks like you've
> done some awesome work.  :)  However, there's a couple issues:
>
>   - I just barely noticed that notification-daemon depends on libsexy,
> which was not proposed; should libsexy just be pulled in as a
> dependency?  It doesn't have many dependencies itself so this would
> probably be okay...

Pulling in as a dependency sounds fine if nobody objects.  Alternatively
if Christian doesn't mind it could be treated like egg and be put into
the tree.

>   - Lack of use of Gnome resources.  This was pointed out at
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-January/msg00274.html,
> though Olav pointed out that freedesktop bugzilla was being used.
> There was http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-December/msg00148.html
> about moving the repositories to Gnome CVS, but it appeared that it
> never happened.  And, perhaps most importantly, no tarballs have been
> uploaded to Gnome ftp (i.e. install-module'd) meaning that we don't
> really have the infrastructure to count it as included.

Freedesktop is most likely the best place for it since it in theory is
supposed to be used by KDE also.  Personally I think the spec should
remain in Freedesktop but the implementation should be in GNOME.  It is
already heavily GNOME centric in terms of linking to GTK.  The protocol
itself is so simple that it would be easy enough for KDE to write a
daemon and library that suites their needs.  Unfortunately from what I
have seen KDE is going their own way on this anyway.  It just seems we
would get more traction if it were on the GNOME servers but I understand
that doing so could permanently turn off other communities.  It is up to
Christian on that one but if not Gnome it certainly needs to sit on the
fd.o CVS servers eventually.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>