Re: Glib 2.10 / Pango 1.? for GNOME 2.14?

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 09:13 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> I think a better way to rephrase Federico's question is: should
> the floating stuff be rolled back?  I think that was discussed
> and closed already.  So we have a glib release that we want to
> not use?!
>
> The question is really about glib now.  Pango is using some new
> stuff in latest glib, includeing g_slice, like many other modules
> do already..

Thanks to everyone for their replies.  There's indeed a bunch of
interesting stuff using the new APIs.

My remaining gripes are these:

- Has anyone confirmed that floating references are not an ABI break?
You can test this by installing Glib HEAD on top of a GNOME 2.12
installation, and seeing if anything breaks.

just use malloc() for the requested blocks.  This prevents us from using
valgrind to find leaks and memory corruption.  This is also a
regression, since this debugging functionality was available with
GMemChunk.

Fixing the GSlice issue is an afternoon's work.  Here is a detailed
description of the work that is needed:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2005-December/msg00149.html

(see also Matthias's and Tim's replies).  Any takers?

  Federico