Re: Deskbar Applet / Feature Freeze

Hi,

I think nobody answered so far, so here's my take on it.

Le samedi 14 janvier 2006 �5:59 +0100, Raphael Slinckx a �it :
> Hi !
>
> I'm one of the deskbar-applet maintainer. The module isn't strictly part
> of gnome yet, but since we have proposed it, and it seems to be accepted
> by the majority we are taking the 2.14 release cycle seriously.
>
> There has been for quite a long time a background work to make a better
> UI for the applet, the work is nearly done but the two people working on
> it (me and Mikkel) are now in exams until the 22 January, and so we are
> not able to finish it before the 18th feature freeze.
>
> Here is a screenshot of the future UI (not polished yet)
> http://raphael.slinckx.net/deskbar-p.png
>
> The old UI can be seen on these screenshots:
> http://raphael.slinckx.net/deskbar/screenshots.php
>
> We are fairly convinced that it will be ready before the UI freeze of 30
> January, but it may also be seen as a new "feature" even though the code
> being patched is just the UI.
>
> This new UI would be really important for gnome 2.14 since it's much
> clearer and will allow us to circumvent some limitations of the
> entry-in-panel and GtkEntryCompletion about which our users are
> complaining in bugzilla (for example vertical panel support).
>
> We also want to support both the new and old ui since we agree that
> people might prefer the old one.
>
> So the question is the following: is such a change considered an UI or
> feature change, and if it's the latter, can we still commit the change
> after the feature break when time permits (before the UI freeze of 30
> January) ?

This is a tough one. It looks like a big UI change to me, but some might
considered this as a new feature, indeed.

I'm okay with it going in before the UI freeze (especially since there
are only 5 open bugs for deskbar-applet).

Any opinions from other release team members?

Les gens heureux ne sont pas press�