Re: GStreamer regression analysis [was: GNOME and GStreamer]

On 1/16/06, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus linuxrising org> wrote:
> Hi Luis,
> You make some valid arguments, but here is my take on it.
>
> GStreamer 0.10 do have feature equivalence to 0.8 in terms of the free
> formats today. There are a few fixes that is needed in Totem still as
> listed by Ronald, but all in all these are minor issues considering we
> have as a paid developer (Tim) working on this.
>
> The question is about the non-free stuff. For common formats like
> Quicktime, AVI, ASF/WMV, MPEG2, MPEG4 and Real. We will be as good or
> better than 0.8 by the time of 2.14. The same goes for re-enabling
> subtitle support. This is on Tim's todo list too.

I seem to be getting conflicting answers about the subtitle thing.
Tim has previously said he'd have it fixed by 2.14 but also said in
the same email that:
"The two issues that require a bit more than just a few fixes in 0.10
are:
 - DVD playback
 - stream selection/multiple languages/subtitles
<snip>
There are plans to fix stream selection and subtitles, but I don't know
when that will be."

I thought Tim said that he probably wouldn't be able to complete
subtitle support by 2.14?

> For weird stuff like some video game formats we will have a regression
> when 2.14 comes out unless someone steps up to try to fix it.
>
> For DVD playback there will probably be a regression, but here I have to
> say the release team can blame nobody but themselves. Thomas warned you
> against proclaiming DVD support with the previous GNOME release and you
> did it anyway.

I think Thomas mentioned this too in this thread.  You two are
probably right and have a better memory than me, so I went off to find
it.  I had a hard time, though, could you point me to it in the
archives?  What I found was
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2005-August/msg00286.html,
which is similar but comes across differently than what you two are
saying now.

> Ronald who promised to work on making sure DVD support
> would continue to work hasn't done a rats ass of effort in regards to

My understanding was quite the opposite -- that Ronald flat out said
he couldn't and wouldn't do that.  Based off the last paragraph of
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2005-August/msg00293.html
anyway.

> DVD in 0.10 even though he even at the time of the last GNOME release
> should have known that 0.10 was close on the horizon and that it was
> targeted towards 2.14.

> If the release team want to save some face on the issue of DVD playback

*sigh* This really just looks like a product of the fact that there
have been several other heated emails in this thread, so I really
don't blame you at all Christian.  But, this just seems to be a
convenient time to ask everyone involved if we could all calm down.
Please?