Re: GStreamer regression analysis [was: GNOME and GStreamer]

Hi Luis,
You make some valid arguments, but here is my take on it.

GStreamer 0.10 do have feature equivalence to 0.8 in terms of the free
formats today. There are a few fixes that is needed in Totem still as
listed by Ronald, but all in all these are minor issues considering we
have as a paid developer (Tim) working on this.

The question is about the non-free stuff. For common formats like
Quicktime, AVI, ASF/WMV, MPEG2, MPEG4 and Real. We will be as good or
better than 0.8 by the time of 2.14. The same goes for re-enabling
subtitle support. This is on Tim's todo list too.

For weird stuff like some video game formats we will have a regression
when 2.14 comes out unless someone steps up to try to fix it.

For DVD playback there will probably be a regression, but here I have to
say the release team can blame nobody but themselves. Thomas warned you
against proclaiming DVD support with the previous GNOME release and you
did it anyway. Ronald who promised to work on making sure DVD support
would continue to work hasn't done a rats ass of effort in regards to
DVD in 0.10 even though he even at the time of the last GNOME release
should have known that 0.10 was close on the horizon and that it was
targeted towards 2.14.

If the release team want to save some face on the issue of DVD playback
maybe Martin Soto is willing to commit his Seamless DVD player (which
already use GStreamer 0.10, but in a different way than needed for
Totem) to the GNOME release cycle which probably would give a better DVD
experience than Totem can anyway. I don't think we should though for
both legal and moral reasons.

Christian