Re: What if "blocker" meant "blocker"?

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 12:54 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> Shorter version this time...
>
> On 1/6/06, Ryan Lortie <desrt desrt ca> wrote:
> > Hello Release Team.
> >
> > For next release cycle, I have a simple suggestion to improve the
> > release process:
> >
> <snip>
> > When you can go on Bugzilla right now and see "Blocker bugs:
> > GNOME 2.12.x (these must be fixed before/in the specified GNOME
> > version)" with a list of open bugs under it something is wrong.
>
> So, I talked to Olav and I don't think we have enough time to send out
> the occasional blocker summary emails.  So we do need a new volunteer
> to do it.  Can we get you to do this Ryan?  It'd be great if you could
> go over the list and send out an summary/update every couple weeks.

Ok.  As discussed on IRC I'm emailing a preliminary version of the list
to this mailing list.  I've removed most of the "blocker" bugs that were
really obviously not blockers by removing the blocker designation or
convincing the person who set it to remove it.

Here's what's left.  A lot of these are not legitimate blockers in my
opinion but I'm not interested in stepping on everyone's toes.

#122688: modal dialog popup + drag in progress = mouse freeze

  If the user is dragging an icon or rubberbanding in nautilus at
  the time that a modal window pops up then the entire desktop
  freezes.  The only way to unfreeze the desktop is to kill off
  nautilus.  mclasen says that GTK has a mechanism to recognise and
  avoid this situation but nautilus doesn't use it.  Huge user
  impact and no reason it can't be fixed.

#125364: vte screens are black when initially shown

  Low user impact and easy to fix (just refresh the screen).
  Probably should not be on the list.

#133815: keys refuse to "unbind"
#135476: Setting a key combination doesn't work multimedia keys

  Evil twins.  #133815 is very evil because it causes you to
  lose the use of a key on your keyboard until you restart the
  session (should be a blocker).  #135476 is less evil since
  it merely restricts you from using, for example alt+p for "play".
  Luis "tentatively mark"ed it as a 2.12 blocker but it doesn't seem
  bad enough to block a release for.

#157941: Help browser content is inaccessible [REGRESSION]

  The screenreading software can't "see" the text in the help browser.
  You can make a reasonable argument that if the help isn't accessible
  then the desktop itself is not accessible.  Probably a good blocker.

#170207: Slow, incorrect rendering of this pdf file

  Some (rare) files render very slowly in evince.  Luis marked it as a
  2.12 blocker because "it is going to look terrible if 'our new
  awesome pdf reader! look how awesome it is!' in 2.12 is slow like a
  turtle on downers".  The bug is in fact a problem with libpoppler
  (not Gnome) but remains open in the Gnome bugzilla due to its direct
  impact on evince.  This is probably not a show-stopper.

#302096: Crash while trying to burn a CD

  Nautilus crashes when trying to burn a CD.  This happens an awful
  lot (from the number of dups) but nobody seems to be able to get
  a good stack trace.  This is a great candidate for a blocker
  because it's serious and common.  There seems to be very little
  traction, on the problem, though.

#303280: evolution-plugin email receipt

  A crash that was fixed but then not fixed....?  In any case it's
  caused by a very infrequently used feature.  I'd have removed this
  from the blocker list myself if it wasn't a crasher.

#310153: crashes on attempt to use in libgnomeui

  This one is a keeper.  Somehow an invalid URI is getting into the
  bookmarks file and causing libgnomeui to crash on reading it.  At
  the very least we can work around this problem very easily and
  hopefully it will be easy to fix properly.

#312171: hal/non-hal incoherence: gnome_vfs_drive_get_activation_uri ()

  This one is probably not a keeper.  I'm not sure why it was
  added to the blockers list but I'm not really sure I understand
  the consequences of it and I don't want to step on toes by
  removing it.

#313047: Evolution Mail Account Settings need some UI love

  Oh boy do they ever.  Set as a show-stopper by a Novell employee
  but I disagree.  As bad as it is, it's not stop-the-release bad.

#314137: 'open folder' icon never reverts to closed after window is
closed

  Luis marked this as a 2.12 show-stopper because of its high
  visibility.  Even if it is highly visible, the user impact is
  very small.  Not sure if this is a good candidate for actually
  blocking a release (it certainly didn't last time...).

#314774: [patch] xrdb called needlessly multiple times

  Fixing this bug would improve our login time.  Slightly slow login
  time is no reason to stop the show, though, is it?

#317312: [CAN-2005-0023] gnome-pty-helper writes arbitrary utmp records

  We have an open security advisory and nobody has even touched it.
  Even though the results of this attack are minimal (faked log
  files) this needs to be looked into and fixed ASAP.

#318951: Links breaks the spatialness of Nautilus

  If you have a symlink to a folder and you open it it opens in a
  separate spatial window from if you open the folder itself.  This
  really does confuse the user rather substantially and ruins their
  idea of folders as objects.  It should be reasonably trivial to
  fix this.  I think this is a reasonable blocker.

#319308: Accessibility: Folder name does not exist in canvas

  Marked as a blocker, it really isn't.  It has a patch attached
  and needs a bit of attention (probably a quick close).

#319549: gnome.ui.icon_lookup() segfaults on weird filenames

  This bug causes segfaults when rendering icons for odd
  filenames.  I've tried to trigger this by creating some of these
  weird filenames and wandering into a directory containing them
  with nautilus.  This does *not* trigger the crash.  As such,
  I'm guessing the user impact of this problem is probably small.
  Probably not a good blocker.  It has a patch that claims to fix
  the problem so it should get some attention.

#320217: recoursive copy & replace fails and all files are deleted

  'gnomevfs-copy foo foo' erases foo.  This is a disaster but it
  looks like it's going to be fixed.  An appropriate blocker.

#324406: "Open Location" autocompletion truncates filenames

  Autocompletion in the nautilus location dialog truncates
  filenames due to utf8 vs. byte length confusion.  Not a
  blocker but I've attached a patch to fix it and it needs
  attention.

#325737: Nautilus crashes after adding files to burn area

  Nautilus crashes when you drag files into the burn folder on
  Solaris.  This is obviously a big problem for Solaris users
  and a fix is attached.  An appropriate blocker.

#325861: gnome_vfs_async_xfer reports wrong GnomeVFSXferProgressInfo in
the callback for http method

  I don't really understand this problem but it's well on it
  affects end-user applications in a visible way and is well
  on its way to being fixed.  It was also marked as a blocker
  by people who know what they're talking about :)

#325988: text files listed as application/octet-stream on non local
system

  This is a fairly significant problem for people who are
  browsing files on a SMB (or some other) remote filesystem.
  Should stay as a blocker.

#326323: Crashes on login with a11y enabled

  Gnome-session crashes on startup if a11y stuff is enabled.  This
  is a no-brainer blocker.

If some release-team or "senior-ish" bug people could go over some of
the bugs that I've cast doubts on in this email and remove them from the
blocker list it would be appreciated.  At that point I'd be able to take
the ones that remain and write an email to desktop-devel-list with the
list along with some information about what "Gnome target" means (and
when to use it).

Cheers.