Re: gnome-session api break

If /etc/xdg/autostart has been defined as a standard interface, it should be honoured as an interface. It is not a matter because GNOME module(s) uses it. There may be other distro making uses of that to do other autostart in their post-install scripts. With this chnages, these apps will no longer work from one release of GNOME to the next which really acceptable from the apps developers' point view. If our view of interfaces are only for GNOME modules only, we are creating a 'closed world' view and that is not good for
GNOME.

I am saying this not because I am using this interface, but really from common engineering
sense. So I think the original interface should be honoured :)

-Ghee

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

The gnome-session 2.13.92 changes the location in which it looks for
autostart files from /etc/xdg/autostart (which is the
xdg-spec-mandated location)
to /usr/share/autostart (which is what kde used for a long time for
something similar).

it's $prefix/gnome/autostart, to not interfere with KDE.

While we generally agree that datadir is a better location for these files than
sysconfdir, simply changing this api this late in the game, and moving away from
the xdg spec, is a bad idea. We are a few days away from shipping FC5,
and all our packages have been carefully patched to put their autostart
files where gnome-session used to look for them, in /etc/xdg/autostart.

in GNOME CVS, only gnome-power-manager used this. And it is already
patched.

IMO, changing this interface this late in the release cycle is not acceptable.
If anything, Rodrigo could have made it so that /usr/share/autostart is
consulted in addition to /etc/xdg/autostart. But he did not do that, although
it was proposed in bug 330397.

again, since only 1 module in GNOME CVS uses it, why would we need to
support the old directory? I can add that code if you want, but I see no
point in doing it, since no applications use that directory (at least in
GNOME CVS).