Re: gnome-session api break

> The gnome-session 2.13.92 changes the location in which it looks for
> autostart files from /etc/xdg/autostart (which is the
> xdg-spec-mandated location)
> to /usr/share/autostart (which is what kde used for a long time for
> something similar).

it's $prefix/gnome/autostart, to not interfere with KDE.

> While we generally agree that datadir is a better location for these files than
> sysconfdir, simply changing this api this late in the game, and moving away from
> the xdg spec, is a bad idea. We are a few days away from shipping FC5,
> and all our packages have been carefully patched to put their autostart
> files where gnome-session used to look for them, in /etc/xdg/autostart.

in GNOME CVS, only gnome-power-manager used this. And it is already
patched.

> IMO, changing this interface this late in the release cycle is not acceptable.
> If anything, Rodrigo could have made it so that /usr/share/autostart is
> consulted in addition to /etc/xdg/autostart. But he did not do that, although
> it was proposed in bug 330397.

again, since only 1 module in GNOME CVS uses it, why would we need to
support the old directory? I can add that code if you want, but I see no
point in doing it, since no applications use that directory (at least in
GNOME CVS).
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>