Re: requesting official list of modules and versions for GNOME 2.14

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 15:58 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> > I'd like to wait for 2.16 for gnome-power-manager. It looks great, but
> > it doesn't look integrated enough to me, yet. Do we need to rush to
> > accept a module in the desktop set? I don't think so. Many distributions
> > will use it anyway. We should only accept it when we think it's ready
> > for GNOME. (Note that it happened for quite a few modules in the past to
> > have to wait a few release cycles before being integrated)
>
> Let's let vendors decide. This module could do with both UI and
> technical review. The persistant use of the notification area, the
> number of popup bubbles (see above comments on popup spam) and
> several other issues I noted, but have now forgotten are all worth
> considering before we bless this module.

Either is good (for me as maintainer).

A comment about the "notification spam": the user only gets 4
notifications for "low battery", "very low battery" and "critical
battery" and one saying "I'm doing the low-power action in 10 seconds"
-- and then there are a 2 optional notifications (i.e. that you can turn
off in gconf) for things like notification when you remove the
ac_adapter, or when the battery reaches 100%.

There's been quite some cleanup-of-late in CVS, so please checkout a
fresh CVS if you think the code needed some re-organisation (or love)
then please comment if you think something should be done better.

There's lots of stuff in bugzilla [1] of stuff in flux, like the HAL
restart organisation, and the suspend notification and/or resume
registration for applications, so I can understand it you think that
it's "not quite ready"

I guess if g-p-m is not a "blessed" module, then the string and UI
freeze no longer applies -- or is the decision not yet made?

Richard.

[1]
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=gnome-power-manager&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED