Re: requesting official list of modules and versions for GNOME 2.14

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:33:39AM +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:

> >   + libnotify & notification-daemon
> >     => depends on libsexy. What should we do about it? Add it to the
> >        desktop set? Say it's a blessed dependency? Don't accept it?
>
> I'm opposed to have another library for general widgets in GNOME. This
> should go in GTK+ or we shouldn't use them. This just like saying we'll
> put some more widgets in libgnomeui while some people are trying to kill
> libgnomeui...

This is an excellent point. I would really like to see libnotify
available in the desktop, but here are some points I have thought
of:
 - people don't like the Windows bubble-spam effect, we need some
   style guidelines in the HIG
 - perhaps at least libnotify belongs inside GTK+, since the API
   seems to now have a concept of GtkWidgets and such, it really
   belongs in GTK+

That said, notification-daemon should remain separate and pluggable
(for example, I spoke to someone recently who hates the bubbles, but
would like an applet that logs notifications on his panel; which I
think would be doable in the current architecture).

I think there are lots of things we haven't yet explored with this
type of functionality. Sure, libnotify is really great for popups on
the panel, but we should be able to attach it to any widget. Think
about hints in Ailseriot: at the moment they appear as a popup box,
how about instead attaching them to appropriate cards. "Move the red
7 onto the black 8" would be a notification bubble attached to the
red seven.

> >   + gnome-power-manager
> >     => there was some opposition, and there's also some duplicate
> >        functionality (eg, the battery icon in the notification area vs
> >        the battery applet). We can accept it now, or say it's better to
> >        wait 2.16, eg.
>
> I'd like to wait for 2.16 for gnome-power-manager. It looks great, but
> it doesn't look integrated enough to me, yet. Do we need to rush to
> accept a module in the desktop set? I don't think so. Many distributions
> will use it anyway. We should only accept it when we think it's ready
> for GNOME. (Note that it happened for quite a few modules in the past to
> have to wait a few release cycles before being integrated)

Let's let vendors decide. This module could do with both UI and
technical review. The persistant use of the notification area, the
number of popup bubbles (see above comments on popup spam) and
several other issues I noted, but have now forgotten are all worth
considering before we bless this module.

100% agree with Vincent on this module.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA