Re: Wanted by the release team

hej folks,
hi elijah,

Am Dienstag, den 01.08.2006, 10:20 -0600 schrieb Elijah Newren:
> You have run across the release team's path. What have you done wrong
> to have the release team seek you out, you ask?  It has to do with
> your work.  You're doing lots of it.  You've triaged more bugs than
> anyone else this year, by a large margin.

for the large margin, blame olav - we had a contest going on. ;-)

> And, well, we like it.  And
> there's a vacancy on the release team, which we are wondering if you
> would be willing to fulfill.

it's a great honour for me, but i definitely feel the need to write down
some clarifications.

i started as a normal user (which i still consider myself) and have been
working (user support, QA, bug triaging) on "evolution only" for three
years now, which ended up in becoming the bugmaster for this
application.
i hope it was already well-known that i'm a non-technical guy and do not
write any code (i don't even know C) before some people proposed me as a
candidate for this job.
i have built evolution cvs head and its dependencies with jhbuild, but i
have never built the entire gnome stack myself yet, and it seems like i
will not be able to try this for gnome 2.16 (reason is that for the next
three or four weeks i unfortunately will be hanging out on a slow modem
connection and cannot be on irc that often due to my summer job).
and i haven't been that much involved into *gnome* - okay, i read
planet.gnome.org regularly, i attended guadecs to collect some free
beers, and i am subscribed to some gnome related mailing lists, but that
has been all (i only recently subscribed to desktop-devel-list and
devel-announce-list).

so i guess it really depends on the responsibilities i would have,
because i have the strong feeling that i just should not apply for
things that i cannot perform. ;-)
after having a private irc discussion with elijah, i have taken a look
at http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/Tasks and
http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/Tasks/ByTime .
i guess i have the skills to set up schedules, to write reminder
emails/calls, to nag people more or less successful (hehe) or to collect
and analyze bugzilla data, but i am currently unable to make/test
releases/tarballs (i have never done that before) and will be very bad
in technical discussions and decisions, like defining module lists or
new functionalities and API. however, of course i can learn.

to me, it would be very interesting to find out (=private email?) what
all y'all expect from me (or at least these folks that proposed me) -
what kind of impulses, improvements or changes do you expect from me
when i would become part of the release team?

so i think it is up to you to decide - if you still think that i am the
right person that fits into the vacancy and that i would be enriching to
the release team, then i am willing to take this responsibility, to
learn some stuff that's new to me, and to do my very best by working in
a team with you, to make gnome even better and more successful.

(yes, please CC me on answers.)

cheers,
andre

--