Re: Upcoming platform deprecations

<quote who="Murray Cumming">

> The only reason to not use something because it'll be replaced
> real-soon-now is "because I want to use the cool new stuff that all the
> cool kids are using". But API/ABI stability is about what's safe and
> stable and boring, not about what's cool. ISVs don't want to keep
> re-porting to this year's cool API - they just want to use an ABI that
> will keep working. And they get frightened at the slightest suggestion
> that it won't keep working.

Dude, this has NOTHING TO DO with breaking API/ABI. Even the original text
did not imply that. This has EVERYTHING TO DO with telling our platform
users what the fuck we're doing, because we've been so lame about it in the
past. ISVs are far more interested in knowing what we're committed to and
what we plan to get rid of ahead of time than to have us protecting their
emotional stability.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

   "People who paid for bug fixes in the 3c501 driver also bought MacIIfx
                      support contracts..." - Alan Cox