Re: [ANNOUNCE] GARNOME 2.13.2

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 19:01 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> On mer, 2005-11-23 at 08:12 -0500, Joseph E. Sacco, PhD wrote:
> > We generally do provide early access "garballs"[GAR tar balls] on a
> > regular basis.
> >
> > We have been transitioning our site to gnome.org and are not quite
> > there. Once *all* of the GARNOME maintainers have access to our stuff on
> > gnome.org, pre-release versions will be offered.

Vincent, please note the above. :)  GARNOME used to offer pre-releases
and I'm sure we can synchronize this even more with the GNOME release
schedule. The point here is, that Joseph and I are still waiting to get
CVS access...

> > For now, a pre-release version can be pulled down at any time from our
> > CVS repository on gnome.org.
>
> Well, what I'd like to see is an "official" pre-release of GARNOME so we
> can have a lot of smoketesting before a GNOME release. Requiring our
> users to get stuff from cvs is not so friendly. Let's take an example:

Personally, I would *love* to see this happen. Both, GNOME release
quality in general and GARNOME will benefit by this. A GARNOME release
for smoketesting sure will broaden the user base testing prior to the
official release and GARNOME itself will get even more stable.

> December 12: GNOME 2.13.3 tarballs due
> December 13: GARNOME 2.13.3 preview release available
>              people can test it (or can use the jhbuild modulesets made
>              by the release team to smoketest the release) and report
>              problems (if any)
> December 14: GNOME 2.13.3 is out
>              GARNOME 2.13.3 is out a few minutes later
>
> I don't know how much work this would mean for GARNOME people, but I
> would think it's more a matter of synchronizing what we're doing right
> now than anything else.

True. We definitely should think about a plan how to get this actually
done and synchronize our efforts.

FWIW, CVS holds some evidence of *major* action during the hot release
phase. A lot of updates where done only minutes after the released
tarballs hit f.g.o. :)

...guenther