Re: Release manifests

On 11/10/05, John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com> wrote:
> Do we compile manifests of all the projects on ftp.gnome.org along with
> the latest stable and unstable version currently uploaded to the server?
> The reason I ask is right now I have a hacked up script which tells me
> if my current packages in Fedora are up to date or not.  It does bad
> things like spider the directories to figure out what the latest
> versions are.  This is slow and inefficient.  It would be cool if we
> automatically compiled a manifest every 24 hours and exported this
> information via XMLRPC or just a simple manifest file.  This would allow
> all distros and individuals to get updates in faster and could lead to a
> better GNOME experience overall.

To my knowledge, we have nothing of the sort.  In fact, when it comes
time to make a release, the old method was to manually troll through
the directories or watch ftp-release-list.  I made a script for making
releases (see http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/MakingARelease)
which does this searching for us, but it's limited to items in one of
the release sets, is only run manually when we're about to make a
release, and the results are put into jhbuild-tarball-moduleset format
(though it does have the added advantage of also trolling for recent
tarballs that we depend upon but aren't in gnome ftp)--so it's not the
same thing.

> I am willing to do the work if we don't have something like this yet.

Sounds cool, go for it.  On a related note, also feel free to work on
my scripts for smoketesting releases--there's several TODOs that would
provide some nice improvements and there's probably a lot of code
sanitization that could be done (the scripts are in python, but I
don't know much python and I believe the scripts probably reflect
that).

Cheers,
Elijah