Re: I want in!

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 12:16 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:

> - I've chatted with Johnathan over email recently and he expressed a
> similar sentiment, so you could also contact him.  An important point
> he brought up, though, is that we need to work hard to be open about
> our plans so that distributors relying on us can plan accordingly.

What's this about?  Informing them about things like

	String freeze is on such and such date
	Hard code freeze is on such and such date
	Yo, dudes, tarballs are out

> - We need to work harder at involving the community if we're The
> Cabal.  We'd like to get the community a lot more involved.  In
> particular, I don't see how you'd need to be a member of the release
> team to do the performance work you suggest.

Oh, the performance stuff is not the only thing I want to do.  It's
pretty hard to get automated performance tests.

I'd like to put in place several things:

1. A freeze for user documentation, so that translators can keep up.

2. A deadline for new APIs that don't have docs yet.  We simply should
not accept new APIs that don't have documentation.  If a module didn't
add new APIs, we should not accept it unless it has more API
documentation than it used to have.

3. No-go for modules whose fixed bugs / total bugs ratio didn't increase
since the last release.

4. See if we can pull things off like no-go for modules with critical
warnings.

  Federico