Re: GUADEC meeting

On 5/13/05, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 21:40 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Dave Neary">
> >
> > > Are you guys (the release team) planning on meeting up during GUADEC to
> > > discuss stuff?
> >
> > Hadn't, but we have met casually at previous GUADECs.
> >
> > > We're talking over on the board list about the language thing, and I've
> > > been saying it's not really the board's job to decide anything on this.
> >
> > I'm not sure it's the release team's job either, beyond "yes, Python stuff
> > is okay in Desktop". The other issues are much deeper and uglier. It's not
> > just a technical decision.
> >
> > That said, I think there will be a lot of discussion about this at GUADEC.
> > :-)
>
> By the way, my position in the board has been that I don't see any way
> forward, and I think it would be destructive to push for a consensus
> where one does not exists. I don't want a part of that.
>
> Meanwhile, I don't think it's a huge problem,

As I said rather forcefully to the board, I think it is a huge
problem; we have had nothing truly interesting to add to the core for
quite some time and never will if we continue down the same path
stagnation-wise.

> and these projects don't
> need our blessing to align with the GNOME release process/schedule.

The problem is that they don't want to, and we haven't really asked
ourselves why that is.

> We've always wanted to franchise the release schedule outside of GNOME,
> so maybe this is a good time.

What about just tossing the notion of release altogether and basically
issuing a list that says 'these apps are the best possible GNOME
desktop; if you don't like $appX for some reason, here are the
alternatives in descending order of gnominess.' Could still have the
six month cycle as a criteria for gnome-iness.

Luis