Re: Request for code freeze breakage approval in Epiphany

Le lundi 07 mars 2005 à 18:23 +0100, Marco Pesenti Gritti a écrit :
> On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 09:36 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:35:58 +0100, Christian Persch <chpe gnome org> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Since time was short, I was the only tester :/
> > > I've tested it with and without presence of user-created gedit.desktop
> > > file in ~/.local/share/applications/.
> > >
> > > If we release without this patch, users which have user-created
> > > local .desktop files will have non-working View Source functionality.
> > > Since that's rather rarely used, we could wait for 2.10.1 if you feel
> > > this is not important.
> >
> > Personally, I'd rather wait until 2.10.1 considering how late it is
> > and the addition of the untranslated string to the UI.
>
> Just an additional data point. I sort of fear there may additional,
> undiscovered bugs caused by using the gnome_desktop_item code. It's a
> totally different (duplicated) code path in respect to
> gnome_vfs_application_launch, and I doubt it had the same level of
> testing for this use case. I'm guessing that code is used in epiphany
> also to open downloaded files...

Only in the open-automatically case, which isn't the default setting.
Apart from that and View Source, it's also used to open the Background
applet after setting the desktop background, but I think that's not
critical.

> How much test did the gnome_desktop_item code in epiphany have? (How
> long time ago was introduced?)

The code was introduced after 1.5.6, but I had had it in my tree and
been using it for about 2 weeks without problems before that (I'd held
off committing it in the hope of finding a better API for startup ID /
startup notification forwarding, but didn't find any).

Regards,
	Christian