Re: release notes: installation

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:40:22 +0100
Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

> Given that we'll have a demo livecd for GNOME 2.10, I'd like to remove
> the build order from the installation section in the release notes.
> It's never enough information to build GNOME anyway, and it's not
> useful to non-techy readers.
>
> We will just point people to the livecd and garnome if they are
> determined. We already recommend that people use their distro's
> packages. Any serious objections?

Is the build process documented anywhere? In the developers docs for
2.10, maybe?

If so, an additional sentences wouldn't hurt, such as "For developers
(or package maintainers) interested to build GNOME packages, please see

Rationale: Getting default (or at least distributed) on more distros is
part of the marketing goals. Luis's efforts about distro branding
wouldn't make much sense without any build documentation. Linking the
docs makes it a better hit for google, less support answers because
people can find the docs more easiely, etc.

Cheers,

Claus