Re: Request for breakage in gnome-panel

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 08:29 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:00:57 +0100, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 07:46 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> > > wasn't the reason that was being
> > > used to turn it down,
> >
> > Don't forget that you can approve this if you want. Luis seems to have
> > already given 1 approval.
>
> Well...it appears it would cause the GDP problems (which is the point
> of UI freeze, right?), and further, it looks like Vincent says that he
> is looking for a period of feedback after trying out the change (which
> I was assuming was not the case)--if so, then your comments on the
> issue are relevant: it's too late for that.
>
> However, I think it has spawned two other issues...  If the point of
> UI freeze is to make sure to avoid giving the GDP problems, just as
> string freeze is to avoid giving the GTP problems, why aren't
> approvals for both done similiarly, i.e. why do we have release team
> members giving approval instead of Shaun?

There are non-GDP reasons to refuse UI changes. A UI change is more
disruptive than a string change, which could only very rarely cause
instability or a major change of user experience.

>   Also, why are there so many
> freeze break requests being sent to d-d-l?  Few if any of them are
> relevant to the wider community and just resulting in bigger inboxes;
> they could be sent just to release-team and since the archives are
> public people could read them or refer to them if they needed.  Do you
> think it'd be worth bringing these issues up on r-t or d-d-l and
> asking if it'd make sense to make some changes?

We encourage people to CC relevant project mailing lists, so that people
are involved. That's often d-d-l. Yes, that's not quite so important now
that release-team has public archives.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com