Entry Completion

In my application, I use an entry widget with completion, which gets
appended to when the user adds new strings.

So far, so vanilla.

Users are asking for the possibility to remove strings from the list
of suggestions. Is seems to me that the easiest way for the user to
indicate to the GUI that a particular suggestion should be removed
would be via the delete button whilst that suggestion is highlighted.

However, I can't see how to tell which suggestion is highlighted (if at all).

I would be grateful for any help, or suggestions for alternative methods.

Regards

Jeff