Unable to install pygobject-3.9.1 on ubuntu 14.04 for use with Intel Edison flash utility

Hello,

I am having trouble flashing new firmware on an Intel Edison. Using an Ubuntu development machine, I followed a chain of instructions, starting here. The firmware flasher (a couple different versions, actually) told me that I had to upgrade pygobjects from 3.8.2 to 3.9.1.

I downloaded the source, and did a couple iterations of resolving the necessary headers. Eventually, I got it to "configure" and "make". But when I did the "make install", it installed the libraries, but then could not build/install the final deliverables. I got 3 errors that read:

File "/.../pygobject-3.9.1/gi/types.py", line 27, in <module>
  from . import _gobject
"SystemError: Parent Module '' not loaded, cannot perform relative import"

I'm new to python, but the issue appears to affect py_compile.py and apport_python_hook.py. It seems to me like my environment may be missing a variable or dependency and, I am hoping someone on this list can provide some guidance.

Thanks in advance,
Fred.