Re: testing for GType == 0

Depends.

If you are storing a GObject use the 'is' operator over returned one, if you just return null if not found check it first.

if (!(obj is BaseObject))

or if have just a type stored and is used to create GObject based on it

if (gtype.is_a(typeof(Object))

May additional data could help to suggest better methods.