Re: Slow loading, moving base code to C

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Simon Feltman <s feltman gmail com> wrote:
There is now a patch set [1] which includes lazy doc string evaluation along
with the removal of wrapped invoke/info objects. With the whole patch set,
I'm observing an overall %20 improvement for Gtk import times and a %14
improvement for single argument function calls. Reviews are needed and
welcome.

Thanks for working on that. I would have attempted to review but I was away.

The doc string overheads didn't turn up in my testing (probably
because we run with PYTHONOPTIMIZE=2) but the other work you have done
certainly helps.

Testing 3 configurations on XO-1.5:
1. pygobject-3.9.2
2. pygobject-3.9.2 plus MRO speedup patch
3. pygobject-3.9.5

I find that Sugar startup time is improved:
1. 10.7s
2. 10.0s
3. 9.5s

And "from gi.repository import Gtk" ran in a loop 10 times is also
significantly faster:
1. 10.5s
2. 8.2s
3. 6.5s