Re: GNOME goal for 3.8: Python 3 -- pygobject/jhbuild changes done, watch out!

Hello GNOME Pythoneers,

cross-posting to python-hackers-list@, as this is a kind of
announcement.

Olav Vitters [2012-11-05 10:05 +0100]:
> In the last release team meeting we've accepted the Python 3 porting
> goal for GNOME 3.8.
> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/Python3Porting
>
> Meaning: During development phase of GNOME 3.8 (3.7.x) we will depend on
> Python 3.
>
> Maintainers/developers: Please visit above URL and assist with the
> porting. If as module owner you want to still support Python 2 as well
> as Python 3 that is at your discretion.
>
> Distributions: Please check what impacts this has on your tools. Please
> notify about impact or required assistance on
> desktop-devel-list gnome org. Please assume that all modules will *only*
> support Python 3.

This has been discussed on desktop-devel-list@ in the past days, and
the foundations for this are now ready:

 * pygobject now has a --with-python option:
   http://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/commit/?id=6d8b29ba

 * JHBuild now defaults to building pygobject for Python 3, but
   introduces a "pygobject-python2" project for the transition phase
   which provides pygobject built for Python 2:
   http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/commit/?id=fdd83e677

 * All dependencies to "pygobject" were changed to "pygobject-python2"
   to avoid breaking modules:
   http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/commit/?id=062c028c48

So in theory your modules should continue to build and work in jhbuild
just fine. Once you ported a module to Python 3, please switch the
dependency back to "pygobject" in jhbuild. (I also mentioned that on
above wiki page).

Please don't hesitate to ask me or any fellow PyGObject maintainer in
cases of trouble; I'm "pitti" in #python on irc.gnome.org.

Thanks!

Martin