Re: Working with GVariant in Python

Micah Carrick [2012-06-25  9:39 -0700]:
> Am I correct in thinking that we shouldn't need a Python application to be
> working directly with GVariants--that PyGObject should handle that under
> the hood?

Not in general. For example, if you use GDBus, you need to respect the
precise data types, which often cannot be guessed: is "1" an int32 or
uint64? does a Python string represent a generic string (type 's') or
an object path (type 'o')? Which data type does an empty tuple, list,
or dictionary have?

In many cases the conversion can happen automatically, of course. In
those cases I think adding an override is appropriate.

Thanks,

martin