Has anybody used libpeas in a Python application?

Has anybody else tried implementing libpeas in a Python/GTK+ 3 application? I haven't quite fully wrapped my head around the whole libpeas library, but, I'm not having any success tinkering.

from gi.repository import Peas

engine = Peas.Engine.get_default()
engine.enable_loader("python")
engine.add_search_path("plugins", "plugins")
info = engine.get_plugin_info("minimal")
print info.get_name()
engine.set_loaded_plugins(["minimal"])

OUTPUT:

Plugin name: Minimal Plugin
Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate
Aborted

I cannot figure out how to instantiate Peas.ExtensionSet