Re: merging PyGI into PyGObject

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:15, John Ehresman <jpe wingware com> wrote:
> On 6/14/10 12:41 PM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>
>> Johan has suggested merging PyGI back into PyGObject because:
>
> Merging makes a lot of sense to me.
>
> As for Python 3 support, for pygobject there's a branch on git.gnome.org.  I
> would suggest that people try to use it, at least with Python 2.x, before
> merging it to the master just because I think new code always has bugs...  I
> unfortunately haven't had time to do this myself, so I'd be all for someone
> else picking it up and running with it.

So we need for someone to port a non-trivial app to PyGI, and once
that works, try the Python 3 branches for PyGObject and PyGI. If
things don't work as expected, we need to add the relevant tests and
fix those until things work.

>From #pygi, seems like several people are porting their apps to PyGI.
Maybe somebody interested on Python 3.x could coordinate with one of
them and test the branches once the port works?

If that person could add proper cases to the testsuite, it would give
a lot of confidence on the port.

Regards,

Tomeu