Re: How About a PyGtk Stable Release?

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 11:37 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 05:46, John Stowers
> <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:

> >> OK great. It would be appreciated if someone could review this branch
> >>
> >> http://github.com/nzjrs/pygtk/compare/master...add-gtk-2.20-api
> >>
> >> It is the API additions for Gtk-2.20. It should be uncontroversial.
> >>
> >> I will push this in the next few days if no-one objects.
> >
> > This has now been pushed.

> >> OK cool. I will wait to see if anyone else voices an opinion first.
> >
> > I think it would be good if the version numbers were aligned again - it
> > would certainly then be clear that PyGtk 2.22 was to be used with Gtk
> > +-2.22, i.e. the last releases in the 2.X series.
> >
> > In making this change would it also be a good opportunity to make the
> > PyGObject version number match.
> >
> > The developer story for the next 12 months of python+gtk development is
> > already hard to explain, small improvements like version number
> > alignment could go some way to improving that.
>
> So the next GNOME stable (2.32) release will have PyGtk 2.22 and PyGObject 2.22?

Not quite, I was talking about making the next stable releases in the
2.x series match;

PyGtk-2.22 = Gtk-2.22
PyGObject 2.26 = GLib 2.26

I am not concerned with PyGObject version != PyGtk version because Gtk
and Glib versions don't match. I also don't think it necessary to have
either the same version as the GNOME version number because the GNOME
version number will change with GNOME 3, and so will Gtk.

John