Re: [pygtk] PyGtk and gtk-3.0 compatibility

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 15:48, John Stowers <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
> First of all, PyGI and GObject introspection is the way forward.
> Now, that being said, it seems a little silly to spend all this effort
> porting C apps in GNOME to gtk-3.0 only to see the first PyGtk app drag
> back in the gtk-2.0 libraries with "import gtk".
> So I spent a little time trying to get PyGtk to build with GSEAL. Turns
> out it wasn't that hard [1][2].
> Only a few accessors were missing
>  * GtkWindow.has_user_ref_count
>  * GtkInvisible.has_user_ref_count
>    These both are used in the sink funcs, and seem to be a synonym
>    for checking the object has not been destroyed.
>  * gtk_menu_get_position_func{,_data}
> So, what is the opinion on this? Is it worth me continuing? My idea
> would be to make *only one* PyGtk release that builds against gtk-3.0,
> it would see no new features.

Sounds like a good idea to me, given how much PyGTK application
authors seem to lag behind platform changes.

That said, I think distros should focus on moving to introspection
because it allows them to drop maintenance of a lot of packages. But
anything that makes this move easier for people is important.