Re: Planner-list Feedback from a novice user

Hi George,

If you want to get responses to your mail, you should subscribe to the
list. Your mail has been manually approved by a moderator.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM, George <vitralinnova gmail com> wrote:
> I am using Planner for a business start scheme involving over 70 different
> 'activities' and various people involved as 'recursos' (my version of
> Planner has come to me in Spanish as I could not find the English language
> version, however, as I live in Spain , this is OK).

On Linux the applications will run in the language of your system
(using something called a locale), so if you set up your Ubuntu to be
in Spanish, all your applications should be in Spanish, and so will
Planner. If you want to run Planner in English once, you can try
LANG=C planner
in a terminal.

> Using planner has been great and for the first time I see the project laid
> out before me with timings and critical path  etc. much as I used to do when
> I was working in industry. It is not only very useful but essential to do
> this exercise for any medium to large project and I can highly recommend
> using this programme. It was not too difficult to learn and in a couple of
> days I managed to create and fine tune my timing plan. Best of all. I can
> update the plan easily by simply changing the 'work duration' as it turns
> out in practice and, if all the interrelations between events have been well
> thought out, the timing plan readjusts itself automatically. Fantastic!

Glad you like it. :-)

> As a result of using Planner, I have two practical comments on its function.
> Firstly; the printing options are very limited (or not well set up) on my
> computer. I could only print the first (top) view and could not access the
> lower entries on planner which, logically would have been printed out on the
> next sheet. For some reason I could not print any other views except the
> first page.

All views except resource usage should support printing. In the print
dialog, make sure you check the relevant boxes in the third tab
(selection of views that should be printed).

> extended plan. This is fine, however the 'reduce' and 'amplify' buttons are
> too crude in their settings and do not allow me to fine tune the size of the
> screen . I felt that the facility should be included to zoom in and out of
> the view to exactly the size you want.

The zoom behaviour has been done on purpose to show different time
levels. Notice how the headers adjust to the zoom level. This won't
change in future Planner versions.

> Apart from this, I found it to be an invaluable programme and thank you for
> making it available to the Ubuntu community,

Always nice to hear feedback from our users, so thank you for this.

--
Alexandre Franke
Planner maintainer