Re: [Planner] Enter Completion date and duration?

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 13:46 -0700, 420 rubble com wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

Hi

> I'm new to using planner and have a couple of basic questions. I've
> tried to browse through the archives but couldn't spot the answers.
>
> I need to schedule most of my tasks by completion date as I am
> completely date-driven at this point. So for all the tasks I enter I
> would simply like to enter the completion date and a duration, and let
> the start date be calculated. I'll frequently be adjusting the
> completion date because of external factors. Is it possible to use
> Planner this way? I can't see how. . .

Well, not yet.  I added support for FF and SF relationships just
recently and it included a function to calculate the start date of a
task given the finish date.  This function could be used to develop the
feature you're describing.

FF and SF will be released with v0.14 (or you could compile it now from
CVS).  What you could do, is set a milestone at the end of the project,
and work your way back in time by using SF relationships.  Keep in mind
that it won't let any task be scheduled prior to the project start date,
so you might need to change that.

> Also, for every task I enter I seem to have to pop up the property
> sheet to change the type of Schedule it is on. And every task uses
> defaults that I don't want. How can I change the defaults so that I
> can quickly enter tasks and adjust values "in line"?

Its a current limitation.  I'd like to make the columns more user
configurable in the future.

> Also, in the Gantt View, the timeline on the top lists "Week X, 2006".
> I'd much rather see "April 2006" that serves to label a block of 1-30
> columns. Is this possible?

The headings change as you zoom in or out, but there's no combination
that shows the month and days together.

--
Kurt Maute <kurt maute us>