Re: [Planner] Handling "As soon as possible" constraint in context of over-booked resource

Once upon a time, several years ago I wrote a very long message explaining how
leveling works in P3. More important than inflicting the problematic use of a
computer to make decisions on the world you _must_ think about periodicity.
Work periods are important but billing periods are vital. My (expensive)
software keeps track of resources and cost - I can bill progress payments
right out of my program or feed my data into accounting software. More
important than that my schedules are defensable in court - don't try that
with uncle Bill. My schedules get a new file structure every month and I can
target previous months for comparison. With report writing software I can do
aging and historical analysis of progress because the months are all in the
database. Dr Goldrat uses afik some kind of expert system to decide if a
comes before b which I guess must have a huge database (maybe like the whole
of Means) underneath. P3 allows me to create rules that prioritize resource
decisions but ultimately I want to make the decisions myself - I run the auto
leveling to see what it does and them make the ties manually. I have over 300
contractors on my present project many of whom have major subschedules of
their own. (I am not the only scheduler here either, thankfully). If you are
not the only one looking at the schedule you will hear about every mistake
quickly. Please keep in mind at all times that the purpose of scheduling
software is to calculate dates from logic and resources. I hope Planner will
support the whole XML standard date structure eventually if it doesn't
already. Keep up the good work and thanks.

--
Registered Linux user #312657