[Planner] How is the end date generated or calculated

Hello,
I am a newbie trying to use the planner software for the first time. My problem is how to generate the end date of any task? I read the documentation and it said that the software generates end date from the effort and resources, but it did not work. And I cannot even change the end date manually, as the start date. I am using planner version 0.12.1.
Thank you in advance.
regards,
Swaroop