Re: [Planner] After using Planner for a while

Hi Dermot

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 05:57, Dermot Daly wrote:
> 1. The obvious one is import/export to/from MS Project.  I understand
> that it can handle project's XML format (based on information on
> Planet Planner), but it will only start to bash the competition when
> it can handle mpp natively.  There's some work on this in java on
> sourceforge (see mpxj.sourceforge.net), perhaps there's some lessons
> in there.

We had a look at mpxj earlier this year, and the code would definitely
be helpful to someone developing an mpp import for Planner.  We just
need someone with the time and interest to step up to the plate.

> 2. I think all of the views should have configurable columns
> (including user defined columns).  For example, there is no way I can
> see dependancies between tasks apart from the gantt chart.  I think
> for example the Tasks view should also have the ability to optionally
> show Predecessors, Resources, Notes, etc.

I'd like to see this one happen also.  I've got my own favorite layout
as I'm sure most people do.

> 3. The ability to export the gantt chart into some graphical format -
> It would be really useful to be able to export the gantt chart into
> png, or jpeg - Particularly into multiple images for embedding to
> documents, etc.

All good suggestions.  They got me thinking that it might be good to
make a list of the 'top 10' requested enhancements and post them on
planet planner.  I could set up a poll so folks could vote.

Not that that would mean the top ones get done first, of course.
Ultimately its up to the hackers to decide what they want to work on
(unless someone wants to pay for an enhancement), but it may help steer
us in the right direction.

--
Kurt Maute <kurt maute us>