[Planner] Anyway to start an independent task at an arbitrary date other than project start date?

Hi, I am a new user to Planner but an experience Project Management software user. I'm impressed with the nice clean and easy to use UI of this tool but am having a real hard time looking for very basic features.

1) Is there anyway to start an independent task (not linked to another task) at an arbitrary date (e.g. October 22, 2004) other than project start date?
2) The Zoom In / Out for formatting the date headers is extremely limiting (e.g. Week 28 ?!) . Is there any way to specify directly what you want the date headers to be formatted regardless of the Zoom level?