Re: [Planner] Resource dependencies

Task 1 should be decomposed into two tasks with one-to-one relationship to resources.  Then, a simple click on the button does the job.

If not, the tool still works. It simply pushes tasks 2 behind task 1 (assuming the algorithm goes by the task priority and then by the order of tasks within the same priority).  If the manager has some insight into the nature of the joint work on task 1, he could adjust the chart.

What's described as difficult requires proper decomposition of task 1, but that's something the user should do, not the tool.

Xavier Ordoquy wrote:
Richard Hult sloffed:

There are a few subtasks:

1. Figure out how to display the dependency visually.

2. Implement the visual part (planner/src/planner-gantt-row.c and
planner-relation-arrow.c mostly).

3. Come up with a good algorithm for leveling the resource load.

4. Add the dependency (called relation in the code) type everywhere that
dependencies are handled.

5. Implement the algorithm (mainly
planner/libplanner/mrp-task-manager.c).

If people think that this is a good idea to do, I think 1 and 3 are good
starting points.

Well, again I'm not sure this is that easy. Let me take the example with
two tasks for which of the two resources only one resource can work on
both. It points that a resource commitement in a task can change against
the time. This implies far more than it just sounds. Even if someone sets
the balance between the 2 tasks for the resource.

Task 1: ==================== (Resource 1, Resource 2)
Task 2: ===== (Resource 1)
             ^ (1)

(1) Resource 1 has finished task 2 on which he was working full time. He
now ca work on task 1 at 100%. Gantt chart will have to make the distinction
of before and after for computing its length in time (not in worked time).

Tasks 2 lasts 5 and Task 1 35 days.
Tasks one will take 20 (5+15) full days of resources 2 and 15 for Resource 1
Therefore Tasks 1 length will be 20 days.

Implementing this means a lot of changes in the way resources and tasks are
linked. Just warning to make things clear.

Regards,
Xavier Ordoquy.