Project Status and Compilation Errors

Hello all,

I would like to know what is the state of the project right now? and
how could I help you? maybe doing some research, etc.

I found that the code has errors in compilation process and Autotools
scripts could be refactorized. Is it worth if I send you some patches
for revision? I've never been in a open source project and I don't have
the needed experience, but I want you to teach me and improve my
programmer skills while contributing to this amazing project.

Maybe the language is a wall for me to communicate to you my thoughts,
since English is not my mother lang and I'm a self-thought person, even
for programming. But I hope with your guidance I'll improve even my
English skills.