[Planner Dev] bizarre behavior in combo box in planner-cell-renderer-date

The combo box in the dialog created by mcrd_init (...) appears empty.

To recreate:
 1. run planner
 2. select tasks with the icon on the left.
 3. select insert with icon at top.
 4. click on date, then select drop-down icon.
 At this point a calendar appears with a combo box below it.
 The combo box has the text "As soon as possible" in it.
 5. Select the drop-down for the combo box. The combo-box clears itself
    and there are no selections. (I expected to have the choices
    { "As soon as possible", "No earlier than", "On fixed date"})

I have a desktop machine and a laptop machine both running Fedora core
3.

I built planner 0.13 on the desktop machine with the configure command

./configure --prefix=/_TOOLS_/dist/planner-/0.13/i686-pc-linux2.4 --disable-schemas-install --disable-update-mimedb

I then tarred up the /_TOOLS_/dist/planner-/0.13 directory and
untarred it onto my laptop.

The desktop machine seems to work fine. The same installation on the laptop
shows the behavior above.

I also see this behavior with the version 0.12.1 that comes with
Fedora core 3. (which is why I was building the 0.13 version)

I do not see this behavior on my desktop machine with either the 0.13
version I just built or the 0.12.1 version that came with Fedora core
3.

The LANG environment variable is set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 on both machines.

I tried putting the code

        printf ("As soon as possible --> %s\n", _("As soon as possible"));
        printf ("No earlier than --> %s\n",  _("No earlier than"));
        printf ("On fixed date --> %s\n", _("On fixed date"));

into mcrd_init() in planner-cell-renderer-date.c near line 158. It
prints correctly on both machines.

I also tried changing
        mcrd_setup_option_menu (date->option_menu,
                                G_CALLBACK (mcrd_constraint_activated_cb),
                                date,
                                _("As soon as possible"), MRP_CONSTRAINT_ASAP,
                                _("No earlier than"), MRP_CONSTRAINT_SNET,
                                _("On fixed date"), MRP_CONSTRAINT_MSO,
                                NULL);
        mcrd_setup_option_menu (date->option_menu,
                                G_CALLBACK (mcrd_constraint_activated_cb),
                                date,
                                "As soon as possible", MRP_CONSTRAINT_ASAP,
                                "No earlier than", MRP_CONSTRAINT_SNET,
                                "On fixed date", MRP_CONSTRAINT_MSO,
                                NULL);

in the same place to see if there was something with
internationalization that was messing things up, but I get the same
behavior.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Todd.