Re: [Planner Dev] Proposal for new features: screenshot

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:40:05PM -0500, Kurt Maute wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 00:11 +0100, Matteo Nastasi wrote:
> > Hi guys, I'm at a little milestone of my 2 enhancements of planner:
> >   vampire task and not standard work/not work day visualization.
> >
> > Before to continue I want to sync with you to exchange opinions and
> > evaluate together the eventuality of merging patches into the cvs.
>
> Very cool.  I like the idea of shading the bar according to the
> percentage of allocated resources are working on the task at the time.
> Following that idea, then, wouldn't you make weekends transparent also?
The idea behind is a little bit different, i would tell to the user
"how much time is stealed from other (vampire) tasks", not "when
resources works at task"; delta = (work made / work expected) where
"work expected" is the work of all resources that are
at work in a particular day (example of yogi and bubu at day 12: bubu
not work but the totality of the working resources of the task
"sleeping" (yogi ;) ar working).

> I second Richards opinion that working with shading the bar would be
> more more clear to the user.
Sorry, about this point I'm a little stubborn ;) for 2 reasons:
  1) old symbols are more understandible then new symbols

  2) I add 4 new concepts not only "not standard not working day" about
     working/not working days:
     . some resource of a task not work in a working day
     . all resources of a task not work in a working day
     . some resource of a task work in a not working day (white band
       under the task)
     . all resources of a task work in a not working day (white bands
       upper and under the task - day 10, task "to steal honey" in the
       screenshot example).

With your method I don't understand how:
  1) sign partial ferial of some resource assigned of a task
  2) sign work on not working days

> > TODO:
> >    the print and html export code
> >    others that I have not just identified (your support will be
> >    appreciated)
>
> I'd like to see this added as a viewing option, rather than make it the
> only option.
> Its innovative - which is great - that's what we want, but
> we should also be sensitive to the needs of those who want simplicity.
Ok, for me not problem about this point, what property I can "copy" for
implement it, view critical ?.

> I have a question too.  If you don't set priorities on the tasks (i.e.
> all tasks are the same priority), what happens?  I presume the
> overallocation of resources is allowed, no tasks are pushed out, and the
> display is 'normal' (i.e. current Planner style Gantt)?

I'm thinking about this point, currently a task is a vampire if it is on
fixed date and have priority = 9999. Vampire tasks don't recursive vampirize
themselves, the target of the feature is add a facility to manage the
project when it is running not an omnicomprensive fully consistent
feature, if you use it you must know what are you doing.

About the question: if all tasks are normal task (not vampire) all work
in current style.

> Thanks for working on this, Matteo.  Good stuff.
Thank you too for your work on Free Software.
(and sorry for my poor english ;)