Re: [Planner Dev] Resource feedback

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 11:25 +0200, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:
> Hi Kurt!
>
> El lun, 17-04-2006 a las 22:09 -0400, Kurt Maute escribi�> > Personally, I think the best solution for this whole issue is to create
> > a web interface for stakeholders that communicates with the database
> > rather than the xml files.  It would be a great way to handle both
> > resource updates and stakeholder reporting, albeit a bit more work than
> > what you're proposing here.
> >

> Yes, maybe the right solution for this new step is to work with the
> database backend. Currently we have some support for versions in the
> database backend.

Jon Wilkins was working on the SQL code a few months back to provide
MySQL (and other) database connectivity.  It would be great to get his
updates in before proceeding.  Jon - could you send us a patch of what
you've got so far?  I know you had a list of a few things you wanted to
look at - wondering what's left.

> Ok, so the way to follow will be to use libplanner, in C, Python or C#,
> to implement a web interface that works against projects in database.
>
> Now it is time to decide the web technology. Now I prefer to use C and
> libplanner directly so this will guide us to program cgi's in C
> language.

Yeah, we definitely need to use libplanner so the calcs are consistent.
If developing a web interface from scratch, I'd like to have a look at
Ruby - since I understand its fairly easy to pick up, and very quick to
get results.

I think it also might make sense, though, to consider an interface with
opengroupware - since it has basic project and task handling
capabilities and will interface with a variety of tools:
http://opengroupware.org/en/devs/docs/OGoArchitecture.html

Granted, it would not be able to replace the Planner database - its
either not targeted at the same type of audience as we are, or is simply
not there yet, but there might be the potential there to get task status
feedback from Outlook, Evolution, and Web based users fairly quickly.

--
Kurt Maute <kurt maute us>