Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:32:34 +0100
From: Kristian Berg <kriberg tihlde org>
Subject: [Planner Dev] Fixing database support
To: planner-dev lists imendio com

Hi!

I've started looking into the database export/import code in planner, in
hopes of updating and extending it.

I've only used planner for running different software projects with
connections to college courses, so I'm not familiar with the real needs
for people using it in a more extensive way.

Here's what I was planing to start with:
* Rewrite the import/export dialogs to use predefined data sources as
defined by gnome-db. This doesn't add another dependency though. Here's
a small mockup of the dialog I imagined:
http://kriberg.tihlde.org/greier/planner-db-export.png

Sources can be defined by using the gnome database properties provided
with gnome-db. The add button on  the dialog could either start the
gnome-database-properties thingie, or start a wizard which creates a
source for you (hence, not dependet on gnomedb).

* Fixing up the export dialog to use table prefixes, or make projects
able to use the same tables.

I was thinking in the lines of using a central database to store all
projects and providing scripts to generate html from the db.

Anyone have two cents?