Re: [Planner Dev] Fixing database support

On ons, 2005-11-23 at 22:31 +0000, Jon Wilkins wrote:
> I do think that the planner db functionality should support the database
> being a central database of more than one project.  By doing this, the
> dbms can become the centre of a very useful tool for monitoring entire
> groups of project, collecting metrics and all sorts.
>
> At some distant point down the road, I think it would be good for
> planner to default to connecting to the dbms resource and presenting a
> list of current projects to open...
> ... though the Planner Community must'n forsake file-based project files
>
> I did some work a way back to try to get planner working with Mysql -- I
> didn't get a lot further than getting planner to create the table
> structure, but you're welcome to that work if you can use it.
>
> This is another good point -- Any revamp of the planner db should make
> it play well with dbms other than postgresql (mysql especially - but
> once the code can accomodate more than one dbms it will probably be able
> to support multiple others).  I seem to remember that the db code for
> actually accessing the project data (in libplanner?) is highly dependant
> on postgresql's cursors - which mysql does not support.

Yeah, I saw the sql code in libplanner. I haven't examined the file
format yet, but (imho) if it isn't easily adaptable to sql95, the format
should be changed. Another solution could be to drop the xml-format in
favor of sqlite as the default for file based saving.

--
Kristian Berg