[Planner Dev] Database and its upgrade path.

Hi

I have managed to make my planner(cvs) use postgresSQL on a computer
running Debian unstable (last update 2005-05-14). It was a long and hard
trip :-(

First building planner was a hurdle because some gnome packagaes are at
2.8.* and not at 2.10.0 as planner want them. (I cheated and changed
configure.in)

Next step was to create the database. Wasn't to hard but some steps
in the guide should change order (patch is in the works). In debian
there is a difference between the postgres user and other 'ordinary'
users.

I had a running binary, but what should I do now? I found the answer in
old mail's on the lists.

Step three: Get a working connection. All I got was (postgres.log)
2005-05-14 10:13:31 [4207] LOG:  connection received: host=127.0.0.1
port=33127
2005-05-14 10:13:31 [4207] FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user
"minus"

This one took time to find. I had to add a line in postgres's config
so I was a trusted user on all databases :-(

Step four:
In a new database the table property_global is empty!
So planner crashed when checking database version.
fixed by:
insert into property_global (prop_name,value) values
('database_version','0.13');

This little tripp got me to dive right into the hard of the sql stuff.
It were good but not very pleasant :-/

I think that the database upgrade part should be in a separate
application. (check out mantis www.mantisbt.org, their database upgrade
system is great). This would simplify the code greatly and it would be
easier to allow other databases (mysql).

minus