[Planner Dev] M$ Orifice Open XML formats

Was wondering if anyone else has noticed the recent announcement from
Microsoft - that they'll be converting their standard M$ Orifice
document formats to a royalty free open xml format.  Linkage:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx

Not only will this become the new default format for Word, Excel, &
Powerpoint, but MS said they'd offer updates for Orifice 2000 and above
to give them forward compatibility with the new format.

First, for the greater Linux community I think its great news given the
relative ease at which developers will be able to create import/export
plugins or otherwise integrate with them.

Second, though I haven't seen any annoucement pertaining to this, but I
think its likely that Project will follow suit, given the fact that it
already supports its own xml format, and its historical close
relationship to the Office suite.

Just thought I'd share.

--
Kurt Maute <kurt maute us>