Re: [Planner Dev] Dev suggestions

Polar Finnish kirjoitti:
Hello

I'm new to planner so mabye this functionallity alread exists somewhere, so please bare with me.

Feel free to implement any, some or even all of those. Planner is Open Source after all...

The thing I was missing, although a rudiment is implemented in the calendar, is how to treat resource constraints. I will clearify with some examples.

How do I plan a person who is available 30% january-june then 0% july 75% august-december. - The only way I found out was to edit every day in the calendar. Not very effective ;-)

True. Calendar handling in Planner is pretty primivite but maybe someday... Maybe.

How do I plan an aircraft, 100 % available in may, but with the constraint that I only have a certain amount of money for fuel. - The only way I found out was a post-it note and a brain (not always available though).

Well, how do you know that you have enough money for fuel? Not without attaching something to accounting software or doing by hand so what's the difference?

I don't think that funding is part of project management software, at least for people that Planner is targeted for.

And AFAIK not even (in)famous "MSProject" doesn't handle financial constraints - it can calc how much whole project will cost but nothing more.

So my sugestions are the following.
1) Make the calendar easyer to use on per week and per month basis. Day to day basis is to fine grained. Also add the possibility to use percentage instead of working hours. 2) Add the possibility to add finacial constraints on resources/tasks and projects. 3) It would be really nice to be able to import/export the calendars in i.e. vCalendar format.

That would be nice too.

Why do I want these changes?
1) In bigger organisations usually you're not interested in whom is doing what on an hour basis, it's more common to think in percentage availibility on week or month basis.

Some will be interested - it's just about level of grainess that is needed.

2) Sometimes you have several fundings, and some are wery dedicated to certain resources/tasks and projects.

IMHO project management as such and financial stuff should be kept far away from each other unless you can access directly financial data.

One solutios is to use milestone as such, "airplane is 100% ready but do we have enough money to fuel it up?" if yes project is finished if no you have to get more money from somewhere. This is most common style that I've seen used.

And in general it shows up very bad thing to just start to do something and wish that money wont run out - no wonder that many great projects is killed due financial troubles. :)

3) It would be nice to be able to syncronize with other calendarsystems.

Definitely.

Not to mean be rude but what you makes think that anybody wants to do these changes? =)

--

Jani Tiainen