[Planner Dev] TUTOS as a storage backend

Hello,

You may have seen the web project TUTOS (cf. http://www.tutos.org), which goal
is to become The Ultimate Team Organisation Software. After a year of
adaptations and after having rewrote the presentation layer, this goal could
even more than before be fulfilled ;)

The first part of the ongoing work was to separate presentation code to
application logic one, which is quite done. The second part is to provide a
way to use application logic from outside TUTOS itself.

I'd really like to see your products being able to use TUTOS as a back-end
where to fetch and store your data.
For this to be possible, we would have to work together defining a common API,
which I would implement the server side on TUTOS, may be with your help.

On the « features » side, as I see it, TUTOS only miss task dependency (you
can move a task forward in time, its children won't be affected, and the
volume of a main task is not linked to children tasks volumes).
This may not be a problem while we set the API and begin to implement it, and
anyway I wanted to work on this part...

So, would you be interested in a client-server solution, TUTOS 2 being the
server and offering a web interface?

I though about providing an XMLRPC access to TUTOS, you may of course have
some other ideas or requirements, please let me know.

You may want to know that TUTOS 2 is not an official version, cause there is
still a lot of features available on the main CVS branch and not on the
BRANCH-2-0 one. As soon as all the modules will be ported to the new upcoming
version, we will manage a merge of the two branches.

You can get a tutos2 debian package (which will be in debian mirrors by next
days) here:
  http://debian.tapoueh.org/

There's also a tarball, and the installation is the same as the main tutos
one, detailed here:
  http://debian.tapoueh.org/tutos2-2.0.20050210.tar.bz
  http://www.tutos.org/homepage/install_easy.html

Note that with the debian package, you start on step 11 of this document.

What about this BRANCH-2-0 stuff?
In fact the main tutos version has the presentation code (html generation)
melted with the application logic code. TUTOS 2 is using the smarty html
template engine, thus now the application logic parts are presentation
independent, and instead of echo'ing some markup strings, it now returns data
structures, which could be used for some other purposes than html generation.

Looking forward to working with you,
--
Dimitri.
http://dim.tapoueh.org

Tout ce qui est public devrait être gratuit.
L'ecole, les transports et les filles.
 -- Alphonse ALLAIS